Thursday, May 04, 2006

DISC GOLF IS NO FAD

Disc Golf is Turning Heads

reaction news december 5, 2005

DISC GOLF IS NO FAD


Written By: Bill Ashton

The first actual disc golf course was installed 30 years ago at Oak Grove Park in Pasadena, California. Today, there are well over 1500 courses nation wide. The sport has steadily increased in popularity since 1975. In my opinion, it has not peaked out yet. So it's not a fad that's going to come and go. The Professional Disc Golf Association has had a 12 percent increase in memberships over the past year to now raise their membership to 30,000 members strong. Also, the P.D.G.A. is currently in the process of creating and organizing the National Disc Golf Center located at Wildwood Park in Columbia County, Georgia. It will host three world-class courses, the PDGA headquarters and the Disc Golf Hall of Fame. This will certainly become a huge landmark within the Disc Golf World. It will also help to promote the sport to the next level. From here, media coverage will expand to a greater awareness to the game and event sponsorships will gain an acceptance to the sport even more so. No matter how you look at it, Disc Golf is a great game! It's been tabbed the "age-less game". Over the past 25 years, I've helped to establish a number of courses for many different communities. I know I believe in the sport of disc golf and I find it to be one of the most appealing and cost effective recreational activities that a park department can offer today. It allows all age groups to participate and it can be a family recreation as well. For those that play disc golf, I would say most love it! I can't begin to tell you how many people have played on the courses I've helped establish, but I know it would be a tremendous amount of people. It's rewarding to know that I've helped to establish disc golf within many communities. I am certainly proud of those accomplishments. It's just a great feeling to know, that I've played a part in so many peoples enjoyment throughout the years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home